Now that the festival season is over I figured I will let everyone in on my top tips for a festival. I personally went to Reading festival and I am definitely going again next year,, with a few things in mind.
- Travel as light as possible! Don’t bother with food honestly, we brought loads of food this meant that when we arrived at the festival it took us 1 hour to bring all of our stuff to the white zone from the red zone. Trust me, if you get hungry walk down to white and get the bus into Sainsburys its only a pound.
- Buy the disposable BBQ’S they are a simple way to have a proper cooked meal for breakfast or dinner.
- Notice I didn’t say lunch yeah that is because you can’t take any food or open bottles into the arena. And you will spend around £8 on either chicken and chips or a small pizza! The waters alone are £3 and usually not cold. If you like slushies or know someone that does buy the refillable slushie cup and then when its empty refill. You can bring empty bottles in and where they are so light they are perfect. Or the collapsing containers would be good for while you are around the campsite because you will totally need water. I took a 2L bottle and one small bottle, I used the small one for the arena and then the big one for around the campsite.
- Download the app if your festival has it or put twitter on notification! When we went we had a lot of acts rescheduling and cancelling and the app and twitter was the ONLY way to get notified about these updates.
- Understand that you are going to spend a lot of money. Festivals are not cheap, as fun as they are you can’t go into this thinking that you wont spend a lot of money. The 4 day ticket alone was £220 then buying everything we needed and then spending money it came close to £500 in total. Spending money wise I recommend taking £200 honestly. I took £80 and it wasn’t enough luckily, my friend had just been paid so I used her cash on her card for any extra expenses.
- Don’t bother with proper clothes. Trust me there is logic to this! If you are going with guys, they don’t wear their tops anyway wear theirs. I was in bralletes and crop tops the entire weekend and if I got cold I just wore my friends top or take something like a flannel shirt that you can tie round you.
- There are so many cool shops, you wont be able to resist but shop on the last day. I was able to get some free clothes by having banter with the people that worked in the stalls and making bets I knew I would win. Example, I said to one of the guys if I film myself promoting your brand can I get something for free… I just said it to my friends! I went with a group of around 15 so he thinks I went to 15 strangers when really they were all my friends.
- Phone charging is a must and yeah you could spend like £30 on portable chargers however, many stalls actually will run charging stations that are not actually over priced. It was something like £8 for a full charge then just put your phone on airoplane mode the entire day. If you want to upload on snapchat then do all your recording while on airoplane then at the end of the night upload them all in one hit.
- Don’t be scared to make friends because it is likely you will NEVER see them again so why the hell not? I know personally I was so much more confident when I had that mentality.
- Plasters and bandages! I wore mainly converses but on the odd occasion I wore my wellies but I know my friend wore converses as well and her feet got covered in blisters and ended up being swollen so she had no choice but to cover her feet in plasters and wear flip flops. So take at least two pairs of shoes and then plasters and bandages because it is a shit ton of walking and I grantee at least one day your feet will hurt.
- Blow up mattresses are not luxury they are a necessity! THE GROUND IS NOT COMFORTABLE! Bring a pillow and a blowup bed other wise you will just be cranky!
- Although I said pack light, let one of the items you pack be a hoodie or some jogging bottoms because it does get cold in the night. My personal saviours were my hoodie and my knee high fluffy socks.
- Toilets and showers… are not that bad. If you do it right you will be fine okay? So toilets in the arena are so nice, well they are considering where you are they are proper toilets with sinks and soap. The ones in white are the pest by far I think it was because more families stayed at the back and less drunk teens. Dont forget to lock the door, my friend forgot once and a woman just walked straight in! Waking up early is a good call as well for both showers and toilets. In terms of the showers just do it! You feel so much nicer after and fuck it who gives a shit. I showered with just my nickers on no bra with my best friend and we spent the entire time just having a laugh with no awkwardness.
- If you still don’t really want to use those toilets maybe you need to poop and you want a bit of privacy I don’t know then do what myself and a few others did, pop into town and have breakfast or something in a restaurant then use their toilets. We went to this place called The Toby Carvery for breakfast as they did a festival deal and then just used their toilets.
- Have fun with it! If you want to dress like a slag go for it, if you want to be covered in flash tattoos and face paint bloody do it!